Position: Agency Accountant
Reports to: Director of Finance
The Jewish Federation of St. Louis mobilizes the Jewish community and its human and financial resources to preserve and enhance Jewish life in St. Louis, Israel and around the world.
The Jewish Federation of St. Louis acts as a central Jewish financial resource development and planning institution for the Jewish community in the great St. Louis region. We serve donors and local and international NGO’s by providing planning, capacity building and financial resources from funds raised through our Jewish Community Foundation, endowed vehicles, donor-advised philanthropy and campaigns. Additionally we serve the needs of the Jewish people in Israel and overseas with financial support of innovative programming.
As part of the Federation’s mission to provide capacity building and financial resources to the St. Louis Jewish Community the Federation provides back office accounting services to several local agencies and three Supporting Foundations. The Agency Accountant, under the guidance of the Director of Finance, is responsible for the general ledger accounting, reporting and overall customer service relationship with these entities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Oversee agency accounts, ledgers and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP.
- Under the direction of the Director of Finance communicate with the agency Executive Director and/or Accounting Staff effective accounting policies and procedures
- Produce and distribute reoccurring financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Act as agency liaison with external auditors, and in conjunction with the agency staff plan and coordinate the annual financial statement audit of the organizations.
- In conjunction with the agency Executive Director or Accounting Staff help monitor and improve internal accounting controls, including monthly monitoring of performance compared to budget
- Ensure timely filing of all appropriate tax returns and other government filings
- Point of contact at the Federation for all agency/foundation accounting issues
- Ability to prioritize agency/foundation requests and effectively communicate response time
EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE EQUIVALENT TO:
- BS/BA in accounting. CPA preferred
- Public accounting experience strongly preferred
- Minimum of three years of not-for-profit accounting and reporting experience
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSE)
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to communicate accounting issues to non-accounting personnel
- Experience with Financial Edge a plus
The Jewish Federation of St. Louis offers a terrific benefits package including health/dental, 403(b), vacation, paid Jewish and secular holiday’s, 50% off membership at the JCC, sick and personal time, life insurance, ltd and more.