Position: Accounting Manager
Reports to: Director of Finance
The Jewish Federation of St. Louis mobilizes the Jewish community and its human and financial resources to preserve and enhance Jewish life in St. Louis, Israel and around the world.
The Jewish Federation of St. Louis acts as a central Jewish financial resource development and planning institution for the Jewish community in the great St. Louis region. We serve donors and local and international NGO’s by providing planning, capacity building and financial resources from funds raised through our Jewish Community Foundation, endowed vehicles, donor-advised philanthropy and campaigns. Additionally we serve the needs of the Jewish people in Israel and overseas with financial support of innovative programming.
Under the direction of the Director of Finance, the Accounting Manager is responsible for the oversight of all finance, accounting and budgeting activities in accordance with and service to the organization’s overall mission and strategic plan.
The Accounting Manager will lead day-to-day finance operations and supervise a team of staff members, with functional responsibility for general ledger accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
- Oversee accounts, ledgers and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP
- Produce and distribute monthly financial reports in an accurate and timely manner
- Under the direction of the Director of Finance, and in collaboration with the department managers, develop the annual operating budget
- Under the direction of the Director of Finance, plan and coordinate the annual financial statement audit of the organization including serving as the liaison with external auditors
- Under the direction of the Director of Finance, perform general ledger accounting and internal and external reporting for endowed vehicles and donor advised vehicles (donor advised funds and supporting foundations)
- Perform accounting for investments
- Develop, monitor and improve internal accounting controls, including monthly monitoring of performance compared to budget
- Supervise Fiscal department personnel
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communication with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment
- Evaluate department staff in collaboration with the Director of Finance
- Collaborates with the Director of Finance, senior management team, and chairpersons of Budget, Finance and Administration, Investment and Audit Committees
EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE EQUIVALENT TO:
- BS/BA in accounting. CPA Preferred
- Public accounting experience required – exceptions possible with strong not-for-profit financial accounting experience
- Minimum of five years of successful management and leadership experience in all aspects of accounting
SPECIAL QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSE)
- Experience in not-for-profit financial accounting strongly preferred
- Ability to develop and implement effective accounting policies and procedures
- Strong knowledge of financial management and budgeting
- Experience with Financial Edge a plus
- Experience supervisor with demonstrated ability to select, develop, motivate, mentor and retain high performing staff.
The Jewish Federation of St. Louis offers a terrific benefits package including health/dental, 403(b), vacation, paid Jewish and secular holiday’s, 50% off membership at the JCC, sick and personal time, life insurance, ltd and more.